Here at the Berwyn Public Library we aspire to move with the times instead of against them. Technology changes every day and it’s important for public services like libraries to change as well.
To help patrons who prefer streaming services over hard copies of DVDs and CDs, we allow access to the streaming sites Hoopla, Kanopy, Freegal, and Overdrive through a Berwyn Public Library Card.
If you need help logging into these services or are confused about what they offer, look no further! All of our streaming services are listed here. Every site will ask for your library card number and pin. The library card number is the number under the barcode on the back of your card. The pin defaults to the last four numbers of that card.
Hoopla lets you watch movies, read eBooks, and listen to CDs and audio books online. You can “check out” a maximum of eight rentals. These rentals are checked out for a certain amount of time – it ranges from 72 hours to two weeks – and then returned automatically so there’s no worry of late fees. These movies can be watched on any desktop, tablet, or mobile phone. To get to Hoopla, you will need to follow these steps:
- Go to the hoopla website at hoopladigitial.com
- Either log in at the top if you have already set up your account through the library or hit “Get Started.”
- If you hit “Get Started” you will need to type in an email and a password
- Hoopla will give you a list of nearby libraries. Choose the Berwyn Public Library and then type in your library card number.
And voila! You’re all set to stream! At the top left-hand corner, just underneath the hoopla logo, is a count of how many checkouts you have left for the month.
Kanopy is a movie streaming website that specializes . Kanopy allows you up to ten “check outs” a month, and the number resets on the first of every month. Your rentals are checked out for three days before they are returned automatically. You can watch on Kanopy on any device including Roku and Chromecast. To get to Kanopy, just follow these steps:
- Go to kanopy.com
- In the right-hand corner, click “sign up”
- You will be prompted to put in your name, email, and a password.
- Kanopy will send you an email to verify your account.
- Once you verify, you will be prompted to type in your library
And there you go! You are all set to watch movies on Kanopy! At the top right hand corner there is a count of how many checkouts you have left for the month.
Freegal is a music streaming website. You can search its system to find the music you want and then download or stream to your heart’s desire. Each patron is allowed up to three hours of streaming per week and three downloads per week. To get to Freegal you will need to follow these steps:
- Got to the freegal site at freegalmusic.com
- Hit login at the top right-hand corner.
- You will be prompted to type in your library’s information. Once you do, a list of libraries will pop up. Click Berwyn Public Library
- You will be prompted to type in your card number and pin to log in.
And you’re all ready to start listening to music! A stat counter at the top right-hand corner helps you keep track of how long you have been listening and how many songs you have downloaded. It will reset every week.